Policy Area “Spatial Planning” Support
Interreg Baltic Sea Region Programme 2021-2027 project.
Project’s lifetime: January 2022 – December 2024
Budget: € 355,000.00
Project lead partner: VASAB Secretariat
Project partner: HELCOM Secretariat
The project aims to support objectives assigned in the PA “Spatial Planning” of the EUSBSR, co-led by HELCOM and VASAB and it builds on the coordination activities started within the previous HASPS project (2015/2016), HASPS 2 project (2016/2018) and HASPS 3 project (2018/2021).
The PASPS project aims to support objectives assigned in the PA Spatial Planning of the EUSBSR Action Plan, co-lead by VASAB and HELCOM. The project will strengthen the coordination of strategic management of the PA Spatial Planning, including among the two themes of PA – land-based spatial planning and maritime spatial planning, support the implementation of the pan-Baltic spatial planning framework: VASAB Vision 2040 (updated VASAB Long-term Perspective), Regional Baltic Maritime Spatial Planning Roadmap 2021-2030 and HELCOM Baltic Sea Action Plan. Furthermore, PASPS project will allow to strengthen integrated implementation of EUSBSR and recently developed VASAB Vision 2040, it will discuss further and help identify potential actions, activities and project ideas for successful implementation of PA`s framework. In addition, it will strengthen the visibility, outreach and integration of PA Spatial Planning to other regional and European activities, as well as promote the flagship projects and their results.
Tasks within the PASPS project:
- Strengthening the coordination of strategic management of the PA “Spatial Planning” by improving the coordination between the two its Steering groups (VASAB CSPD/BSR and the joint HELCOM-VASAB MSP WG) and reporting on latest updates and activities related to EUSBSR, ensuring the availability and circulation of the information concerning PA “Spatial Planning”, as well as improving the decision making thus avoiding the duplication of work.
- Enhancing links between EUSBSR framework and VASAB Vision 2040 in order to ensure aligned implementation by actively involving other Policy area coordinators in the development and implementation of VASAB Vision 2040.
- Enhancing links between PA “Spatial Planning” and implementation of the Regional Maritime Spatial Planning Roadmap 2021-2030 and EU MSP Directive (2014/89/EU) concerning the coherence of the maritime spatial plans and promoting activities towards transboundary MSP data availability. The project will assist in setting the agenda and ensuring the outputs of the MSP Data group. Project will enable continuation of the Planners Forum – practical knowledge exchange among MSP practitioners.
- Enhancing outreach and integration of PA “Spatial Planning” to other regional and European activities (e.g., EUSSBR Annual Forums, European Maritime Days, MSP Conferences etc.). The project will enable outreaching and communication activities to inform other relevant EUSSBR coordinators (e.g., PA Transport, PA Energy etc.), regional stakeholders and authorities at different levels about its aims and contributions needed in order to continue closer cooperation. This also concerns HELCOM and its various groups, where information exchange and cooperation is needed to fulfil the aims of PA “Spatial Planning”, in particular with HELCOM groups dealing with fisheries, safety of navigation and marine protected areas/nature conservation.
- Following-up the implementation of the current projects and Flagships, their outputs and interact with the project partners.
Read more about PA “Spatial Planning” and the EUSBSR here.