During the periods between the Ministerial Conferences VASAB is steered by the Committee on Spatial Planning and Development of the Baltic Sea Region (CSPD/BSR). The Committee is composed of the senior representatives of the respective ministries as well as of regional authorities of Russia and Germany adjacent to the Baltic Sea (Mecklenburg-Vorpommern and Schleswig-Holstein Lands in Germany, Kaliningrad, Pskov, Leningrad Oblasts and St. Petersburg representing NW Russian regions in Russia).
Until October 2009 the Committee was named the Committee on Spatial Development of the Baltic Sea Region (CSD/BSR). The first Committee met in 1995 in Warsaw. In 1992-1994 similar functions were performed by the Group of Focal Points.
The main purpose of the Committee is to offer a forum for the exchange of knowledge and experience in spatial planning, to support Ministers to create common spatial policy perspective, to promote practical projects and to cooperate with other pan-Baltic organizations.
VASAB CSPD/BSR chairmanship is one year long and is based on the CBSS chairmanship rotation principle.
During 1 January 2017 - 30 June 2018 is chaired by Mr Olov Schultz, Sweden. Priorities of the Chairmanship are available HERE.
Previously VASAB Committee had following chairs:
2. Ms Sirka Hautojärvi (FI): February 1994 - December 1994
3. Mr Jacek Szlachta (PL): January 1995 - June 1995
4. Mr Bo Kjellen (SE): July 1995 - June 1996
5. Ms Dzintra Upmace (LV): July 1996 - June 1997
6. Mr Niels Østergård (DK): July 1997 - June 1998
7. Mr Aleksandras Gordevicius (LT): July 1998 - June 1999
8. Mr Terje Lind (NO): July 1999 - June 2000
9. Mr Bernhard Heinrichs (DE): July 2000 - October 2001
10. Mr Sergey Narishkin (RU): November 2001 - June 2002
11. Ms Ulla Koski (FI): July 2002 - June 2003
12. Mr Allan Gromov (EE): July 2003 - June 2004
13. Mr Zbigniew Rykowski (PL): July 2004 - December 2005
14. Mr Olle Lundgren (SE): January 2006 - June 2007
15. Mr Edgars Zalans / Mr Gunars Ansins (LV): July 2007 - June 2008
16. Mr Peter Pouplier (DK): July 2008 - June 2009
17. Mr Aleksandras Gordevicius (LT): July 2009 - June 2010
18. Mr Arve Skjerpen (NO): July 2010 - June 2011
19. Mr Wilfried Görmar (DE): July 2011 - June 2012
20. Ms Elena Chuguyevskaya (RU): July 2012 - June 2013
21. Ms Ulla Koski (FI): July 2013 - June 2014
To ensure continuity of actions and prepare CSPD meetings, a Troika format is used. VASAB Troika is composed of the representatives of the previous, present and upcoming holder of the chairmanship.
At the moment Poland, Sweden and Latvia are the members of the Troika.